This one was so obvious to me that I just had to go with it. Villains and cold together made me think of a Dark Elf Cold One Knight. The model is one of GW’s better efforts. These are a huge improvement over the old models.
I was nervous going into this task. I didn’t really have a plan so I just started painting. I prefer to figure out which colors will go where but I just couldn’t “see” the model so I had to wing it. I primed it green and worked it up from there.
The knight was painted in straight forward metal but then I wanted to tie the rider in to the idea of cold a little bit more. I washed his armor with a blue wash. The colors of his cloth are the colors GW uses for their High Elves.
The display base was supposed to be a cold landscape but the snow effect I ordered hasn’t arrived so I had to go the other way entirely on it. It’s a sabot base for a single 50mm x 100m cavalry model. The plants are aquarium plants with some washes here and there to make them look a little bit less plastic. The only way this is going to get used in a game is if I’m playing a fantasy version of Hail Caesar or something similar (which is possible to be honest).
I have to say, I’m very proud of this lizard. It may be one of my favorite figures that I’ve painted. It’s a great model and I’m really happy with the way it came out. I’m now intimidated at the thought of trying to re-create the paint job on the rest of the unit.
I’m also going to go out on a limb here and raise my goal from 650 to 1500. I’m weeks ahead of schedule on my painting right now. The push of the Challenge is working and I want to take full advantage of it.