Thursday, January 07, 2016

First weekly entry - Warlord Games 28mm ECW Infantry Regt

My next entry was 20 28mm ECW infantry from Warlord Games. These are the Green Regiment.

Most of a regiment

These are all Warlord Games plastics. I bought these guys in their half off sprue sale the beginning of Christmas. They are great value at that price, though decent even at full price. My one beef with this set is they come with too few vertical pikes and some horizontal pikes. Horizontal pikes may look nice but they are tough to play with, since pushing two units together is virtually impossible with them.

More pikes from this angle
The models themselves are really very good. They come with bare heads and a choice of head gear. This leads to my second gripe with this set. There are just enough hats if you leave out the bonnets, and not enough bonnets if that is your goal.

The two shotte stands from last year added on picture right.
The picture above includes the two shotte stands I painted with the Blue Regiment during last year's challenge; no points for them this year obviously. I have purchased some Foundry standing pikes to fill out the last pike stand. I finished priming them yesterday, so one for the Blue regiment, one for this one and two more for the other two regiments I plan on painting during this challenge.


I had forgotten how time consuming these are to paint. They have a lot of detail on them, and require a bunch of different colors. Not ideal challenge fodder in that respect.

They even look good up close.
The faces have a lot of character. The details are sharp. There are enough options, especially with head gear, that you can avoid having all of your little men look like twins.

Not sure why I tilted the camera.
These also give me my first twenty models in my competition with Paul. Since he's painting in 3mm I don't see how he has a chance of catching up with this lead in place.

I went with a fife for this unit. 
As I said last year, this unit was a chore until I hit it with the washes. That's when it really came together and started to look good. I did pick up some tricks that should help with the next regiment, but I need a break before I start them.

16 comments:

  1. Very nice mate. One of my favourite entries so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you Millsy. I am glad you like them.

      Delete
  2. Yes! ECW regiment of foote looks great! I would enjoy watching you build an entire army or two of these fellows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in luck then Jonathan. I have two more regiments of foote, two firelock parties, two cavalry troops and some artillery. As long as I stay on plan they should all be done in the next couple of months.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done Alan!
    Not sure how I can catch up your lead thus far, especially as I literally do not possess any brushes or paints at this stage :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, that is, of course, what I am counting on. Our challenge is absolutely insane if you actually have access to the things that are necessary for you to compete.

      Delete
  4. That's a fine body of men, great looking unit Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice job with splendid colors, love your fife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The fife is surprisingly popular.

      Delete
  6. Looking good. You are definitely pumping out painting minis fast. I feel like snail over here with my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. A couple of hours a day and it's amazing the amount you can get done.

      Delete
  7. Missed these guys.. glad I popped back- superb job on those Warlord Plastics and a nice review :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...