Saturday, February 22, 2020

Painting - Thingol the "Barbarian" for Rangers of Shadow Deep

This post is Rob Stark's dire wolf from A Song of Ice and Fire by Cool Mini or Not. I got two of the starter set for less than half price each, so I have an extra wolf.

Thingol is a giant wolf with the stats of a barbarian.


Thingol has the stats of a barbarian in the game (RoSD, not ASoIF). I wanted to use the wolf model but not as an animal companion, as they tend to die quickly. I have made some compromises in terms of gear (none) and skills to keep it flavored correctly.


In game terms, Thingol is a giant wolf that my ranger, Arbach, tamed. He is a bruiser in combat, though not heavily armored.


The paint scheme borrows a lot from my German shepherd. Lots of washes and some highlighting for most of the body with the nose and eyes picked out. This is the first ranger/companion model I've completed four our RoSD campaign. The rest are either in progress or were painted prior to this. I've gotten a lot of monsters done though. I really enjoy that RoSD gives me a reason to pull out and paint up a bunch of the random fantasy bits and bobs I've picked up over the years.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...