Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Monthly Retrospective 3

Month four of 2012 is over.  This year is going blindingly fast, to me at least.  This was a productive month in some respects and not so much in others.


I started 15mm for Sci/Fi this month.  That's a big step.  I prefer 28mm models, and I'll still game in that scale.  The reasons I finally succumbed to the dark side of gaming are probably pretty familiar to all those that have already made the leap.  There is a huge, and ever expanding range of models.  They are dirt cheap.  They paint up quickly.  The terrain is much cheaper than 28mm.  There is freedom to build whatever force you want. (Technically this exists with 40k as well, but GW would have you believe that is not the case).  There are a ton of different rule sets out there.  I bought some test models, ARC fleet from CMG.  I liked them, even the infantry.  So I ordered a bunch of Sahadeen and two Vipers from Rebel Minis.  Those arrived yesterday and look very nice as well.  I'll be doing a review on them as I assemble them.  I'll need to put in another order to CMG to flesh out the first order, but that will give me two armies to game with.

Painted CMG ARC Fleet



I also got my first twenty two Early Imperial Romans, from Warlord Games, done.  I've been wanting to do these models for, literally, years.  After looking at my pictures I need to do some touch ups, but these guys are ready for the table.  I can't tell you how excited I am about this.  I love these models, the time period and the gaming possibilities.  It's not very often that you accomplish something that has been in the works for years.

They are just as awesome as I always dreamed they would be.

On the gaming front it was a very slow month.  I played exactly once, in fact.  It was a great game, but still, that's not nearly enough.  I'm going to make it down to Collectormania this Thursday; and  it looks like we will have some new blood there, so that should be fun.  I'll be taking the Haradrim for their first outing as a fully painted army.  I'm hoping to do some gaming in other systems than LotR as well.
Nature's Wrath wreaks havoc on the Uruk Hai, who had never heard of such a thing before.

On the financial front, let's see...  I bought the 15mm from CMG and then the lot from Rebel.  I have still not received my order from Defiance Games, though they say they are shipped so they should be here any time.  I'm hoping these are nice minis since I'd like to support the company and I need something to fight my IG.  I also ordered a copy of Tomorrow's War.  Other than that it was mostly hobby supplies; tufts, flowers, liquitex, not-GW plastic glue and two new Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes.  I have a friend whose daughter works at an art supply store and gets everything for 40% off.  So far I'm pleased.   I also got one set of terrain for 15mm.  The wind turbines and solar panels set.

I am way more excited about these than their looks warrant.

I bought one board game this month.  I picked up A Game of Thrones:  The Board Game, from Fantasy Flight Games.  I haven't had a chance to play yet, but it looks like it might have some really nice mechanics in it to run a campaign.  Resource management kept easy.


I did not actually receive any new rules in April.  I ordered Tomorrow's War, but I'm still awaiting it's arrival.  I'll be ordering Gruntz today (Pay day).  For $9 it's hard to pass up, and it has reviewed pretty well.  I did download the free, one page, FUBAR rules.  They look useable but don't really have the detail that I want.  I have high hopes for both Gruntz and TW, but those are stories for another day.

This is a sexy cover, I don't care who you are.

For next month I plan on buying some more 15mm as well as a bit of terrain for that scale.  I'll be picking up Gruntz and TW should arrive.  I'll be painting the Sahadeen, the Celts and the Betrayer.  I will assemble more Romans.  I plan on playing at least four games.  That should be a challenge since I'll be on vacation for two weeks in May.  I'm taking the family to Ireland, our dream trip.  That will put a crimp in all things hobby, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Finally, I gained six new followers this month.  The first was Kris Marquardt who does not have a blog, as far as I can tell.   Edit.  Kris does have a blog, and I know him personally, though informally, from the local shop.  He is a truly outstanding painter and has a great blog at Wargames and Railroads.  I don't even aspire to the level of painting that he works at.

Second for the month was Sebastofig of Back to the Minis, who does some really nice historical stuff.  Great inspiration there.  It makes me want to dig out my Warhammer Empire army and start painting.  It also gets me looking at the Perry WotR line.

 Next was Kingsleypark, whose blog can be found to the right.  He has a very eclectic taste in gaming; something I've come to appreciate more and more since my divorce from GW.

Next is Maj Diz Aster of the blog formerly known as Firebase Ares 15, now just Firebase Ares.  The good Maj helped me to accept 15mm for sci/fi.  I've enjoyed his blog immensely so give it a look.

Next is Peter Cullela of Sword and Sandal Gaming.  This blog feeds my sword and sandal interests, while also exploring other aspects of the hobby.  I also appreciate that he doesn't take it all too seriously and will step outside the strict history to follow a good idea.

My final new follower, just under the wire, is Ray Rousell of Don't Throw a One.  Ray is something of an English blogging celebrity, so I'm flattered that he stopped by.  He is a truly prolific painter.  Now, if he and Fran could actually fight their war between Rayonia and Franonia, that would be something.


So, to wrap it up, I gamed less, painted more and bought less.  I'd call it a good month, with the only downside being the lack of gaming.  I'm chalking April up as a win.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the warm welcome. I do have a blog: http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com Come on over and take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Kris, I didn't realize it was you. I have your's in the blog roll, but I'll edit the post and put a link there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to wait a little before buying Gruntz as Ver 1.1 (the proper print on demand rules) will be published fairly soon.

    Sounds like your month has been as busy as mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, good point Tamasin. I would hate to buy the rules and then have the new ones pop up soon after.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have a busy month planned! Good results on the painting front in April, wish I could say the same.

    Thanks for the blog plug! Much appreciated!

    And enjoy the trip to Ireland! We are going there for a few days in October so looking forward to that

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be a busy month, whether I'll hit the hobby wickets or not is another story though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...