Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Entry 13 - Vth Analogue Painting Challenge - 28mm Celt Cavalry

This next entry is, surprisingly, more Celts.  These are six 28mm Celt light cavalry from Wargames Factory.  There are twelve cav in the box so I made six mediums and these lads lights with javelins.

Six riders with javelins.

The models were not much fun to paint, but are probably actually good practice.  The detail was so soft on a couple of them that I ended up painting on the hair and face like it was a blank canvas.

Same pallet, different day.
I painted two of the horses a different color at the urging of several commenters.  I used to have a link to a fantastic horse color chart that laid out all of the various color combinations.  It is now, sadly, defunct so I started to google horses and got distracted looking at 15mm tanks and ended up just doing whatever I wanted.

Big men on little horses.
I'm not sure how well these guys will stand up to Numidians but we'll find out someday.

Not so bad en masse and charging.
I probably would not have been as unhappy with these horses if I didn't have a splendid example of what a horse should look like sitting next to them on the work bench.

Good and not so good.
They sort of reminded me of the scene in Shrek 2 when Donkey drinks the potion and becomes a stallion Baby!

Ignore the WIP-iness of the horse on the left.
I don't normally show WIP shots but in this case it's a teaching moment.  Sculptors, the horse on the left looks equine.  The one on the right looks cartoon-ine.  I'm not saying I won't ever buy more Wargames Factory Celt cav, but they will have to be the back half of better sculpted units.

11 comments:

  1. Those WF horses do have some anatomical issues, don't they? Neck is too thick for the body and looks like the body has had the middle section excised and then the front half stuck to the rear half. Odd creature...Reminds me of wild boar on steroids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they were going to claim parentage from an actual animal I think it would be the onager. They are just odd, really.

      Delete
  2. Bearing in mind you had very little detail to work with, I think you've done an excellent job on these. That last photograph s certainly very telling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I was less displeased with these horses before I pulled the other out to paint. Still, they are serviceable enough I suppose.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic job, love the paint work and the basement...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new Gauls, I think they'll slow down the Numidians in your next game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll have to in order to earn their keep. Thanks Monty.

      Delete
  5. Agree totally on the horse front I have some in my Celtic saga army, I have convinced myself that they are Celtic ponies otherwise I'm not sure I would let them on the table. But they work well as welsh raiders.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...