Saturday, January 03, 2015

Entry 9 - Vth Analogue Painting Challenge - 11 28mm Celts

This next entry is the first troops for my Celt army.  These guys are being painted up for Hail Caesar.  They are individually based so they can be used for skirmish games as well.

Eleven angry Celts.



These are Warlord Games plastic Celts.  They are not bad sculpts.  There is a fair amount of variety on the sprue.  The details are generally good.  There are some attachment points that are unfortunate, such as the top of the head.  This results in some odd flat spots on some of these guys.


These models came with stickers instead of decals.  I.  HATE.  THEM.  SO.  MUCH.  Each one has to be cut out exactly right.  The center, for the shield boss, has to be cut out.  Once they are stuck on I hit them with Mod Podge to seal them and try to get them to stick better.  Then I had to go around the edge with brown paint to get rid of the white from the sticker edge.  Then I had to hit the center with bronze to get rid of the white next to the boss.  They are just terrible.

Stickers are even worse than decals.
There is one metal model in this group, also from Warlord.  He is the army standard bearer.  This group was going to be ten models but when I found him I threw him into the group as well.  He came with an attached white metal standard pole.  You can probably guess how that went, but just in case, it broke.  I had to drill the hand and put in brass rod.  The drilling did not go well and now he has a decidedly odd hand.  Other than that, this is a very nice model.  I'll be working him into one of my command stands, with a sabot spot for him.

Standard bearer and some close ups.
Standard bearer, always trying to get a head.
A little free hand on the bottom of the cloak.
I chose five primary colors and just mixed them throughout this force.  With various strips and solids it makes for a very colorful warband.

A close up of a single warrior.  There is good detail on these plastics.



10 comments:

  1. It is, indeed, a colorful warband and some of those warriors have nicely packed abs.

    You are REALLY cranking out the figures! The Painting Challenge has given you much inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. The Warlord plastics have great definition. There's no soft features on these guys. It makes them a lot of fun to paint. I need to figure out how to harness this motivation for once it's all over and I'm on my own for eight months.

      Delete
  2. Always good to see a pig on a stick! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good!
    The stickers sound like a real pain though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The stickers are just terrible. I'm glad I've used them all up now.

      Delete
  4. What a fearsome looking bunch - another great entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I have hopes for making a lot of progress on this army since I'm not hating painting them yet.

      Delete
  5. I've really enjoyed these Challenge entries - very colourful and vibrant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...