Monday, February 27, 2012

Basing

As noted below, I have quite a few new figures inbound.  These are all historicals, Romans and Celts.  Coming from a GW background, I like my minis individually based.  Add to that the endless variety of historical rules with their basing arcana and I have been at a loss as to how I am going to base these models.

I've decided that I will base them individually.  I can build movement trays of whatever size is necessary for the rules I'm playing.  I am, very strongly, leaning towards round bases.  The reason for this is simple, I want to be able to use them for skirmish games.  I want to use the Lord of the Rings SBG rules.  These need round bases.

If I use the GW War of the Ring movement trays I can fit eight round bases on a tray.  Two of these will suffice for HC, especially if my opponent is using the same style.  So!  Problem solved you say!  Not so fast.  I am having a hard time finding the bases I need.  I found an ebay seller who sells 100 for a couple of pounds.  Great.  Only the shipping works out to be three times what the bases cost.  There are a bunch of sellers who sell in smaller quantities for more money.  I'll keep looking for the solution to this one.

This leads to the next part of the question.  Using Romans and Celts in a skirmish game, what stats will I give them?  I know there is a yahoo group dedicated to alternate uses of the LotR rules.  I also happen to know the author of Legends of the High Seas, so could ask for advice from him.  I want to work this one out on my own, (though I may still hit up Tim for advice).  I'm thinking, right now with no play testing, that I will use Uruk Hai for the Romans.  For the Celts I'm leaning towards orcs, though that is still not a great fit for me.  It may take some fiddling but I'm going to work this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...